- A Homeowner's Guide to Septic Systems
- Local Septic Code - Go to: BOH Ordinances - BH:VI - Individual Sewage Disposal Systems
- State Septic Code - N.J.A.C. 7:9a - Standards for Individual Subsurface Disposal Systems
- NJ DEP Bureau of Non-Point Pollution Frequently Asked Questions and Guidance Regarding the Standards for Individual Sub-surface Disposal Systems
- Septic Permit, License & Fee Schedule
SUBMISSION OF MATERIALS TO THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT:
THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT DROPBOX
The Health Department Dropbox is located in the back of One Municipal Plaza in the vestibule inside the glass door. If you are required to drop off a complete packet & fee(s) for a license or permit, please be sure all required materials are in the packet or it will be moved to our bulletin board (also in the vestibule) for you to pick up and complete. All applications must include ALL materials and fees in one packet in order to be processed.
You may also mail materials to: Borough of Oakland, Health Department, One Municipal Plaza, Oakland, NJ 07436. Please send all of the required materials and/or fees in one packet so it can be processed. Incomplete packets or materials will be tacked to the bulletin board in the vestibule for you to pick up, complete and resubmit for processing.
EMAIL OR FAX - please do not email or fax materials without fees and/or other items that are required to be with them. We will consider them incomplete without the other items and/or payment and they will be moved to the bulletin board for you to pick up and submit as a full packet. Only fax or email stand-alone items that have no other items or fees required.
HOW TO BECOME A SEPTIC INSTALLER IN OAKLAND:
If you have not taken the Installer's Examination, you may make an appointment with the Health Department Secretary to do so. The exam costs $100.00, payable at the time of the exam. You may study for the exam by reviewing the State Septic Code (see above). If you pass the exam, you will then need to apply for an Installer's License by submitting the required packet of information and accompanying fee for the current year via our dropbox. If the application is complete you will be issued a license.
SEPTIC PLAN SUBMISSIONS:
The engineer who designed the plan will submit the plan to the Health Inspector, and she will contact the Engineer when she has reviewed the plan with an approval or a rejection. If you are a homeowner, buyer or seller and would like a status update on your engineer's plan, please contact the Engineer to see if he or she has been contacted. The Engineer is the Health Inspector's point-of-contact for septic plan reviews, so he or she would be the person with any updates.
SEPTIC REPAIR PERMITS:
The Oakland-licensed contractor must submit a septic repair application with the accompanying fee to our dropbox. Upon the Health Inspector's approval, a permit will be issued to the contractor.
SEPTIC INSTALLATION PERMITS:
Septic Installation Permit Packets may only be submitted after the Health Inspector has given approval for the work to be done.
After receiving the Health Inspector's approval, the Oakland-licensed contractor must collect all documentation that is required by the Health Inspector from the various entities which issue the documentation (attorney, Building Department, etc.) and submit it, along with any fees due, via the Health Department Dropbox, in one complete packet. Incomplete packets will be tacked to the bulletin board in the vestibule for the contractor to pick up for completion. Complete packets will be processed and issued on a first-come-first-served basis.
LICENSED SEPTIC CONTRACTORS AND PUMPERS:
LICENSED SEPTIC CONTRACTORS
- Only Septic Contractors licensed to work in the Borough of Oakland (see list below) may repair, alter and construct septic systems in Oakland, and ALL WORK MUST BE PERMITTED AND INSPECTED by the Health Department. Septic Inspections must be scheduled with the Health Inspector, who must be given at least 12 hours notice for an inspection appointment.
- Septic Contractor's Licenses require complete renewal application packets to be submitted to the Health Department anually.
LICENSED SEPTIC PUMPERS
- Only Licensed Septic Pumpers licensed to work in the Borough of Oakland (see list below) may pump septic systems in Oakland.
- Septic Pumper's Licenses require complete renewal application packets to be submitted to the Health Department anually.