Perhaps by now you have seen the news relating to the Governor’s latest Executive Order that takes additional steps to slow the spread of the novel corona virus. If not, you can read it here. In addition, the Bergen County Executive has just issued a new Executive Order that affects businesses in Bergen County, starting at 11pm on Tuesday, March 17th.
The Borough is also doing its part to practice “social distancing”. For that reason we are taking the following additional actions:
Public Access to Borough Buildings Suspended:
- Public access to all municipal buildings will be suspended through at least Sunday, March 29th, with the exception of the Police Department Lobby area. This includes the Senior Center, superseding information given last Friday, March 13th. To drop off applications and other documents at Borough Hall, please use the drop box located at the front entrance of the building.
Brief in-person appointments may be acceptable for emergent situations on a case-by-case basis. Residents must call ahead to make arrangements.
All offices are open and staff will be available to answer questions and concerns via phone and e-mail. Service requests can also be submitted by using the Borough website, www.oakland-nj.org.
- Until further notice, the following services are suspended:
- Issuance of temporary food licenses.
Non-emergency water meter replacements
Non-emergency Fire Safety Inspections
For final readings of water meters, residents will be asked to take a photo of the meter reading and text or e-mail it to DPW.
Enhanced Safety Protocol for Inspections. The Borough will continue to conduct building, CCO and other inspections to the greatest extent possible. Staff who need access to your home or place of business will be screening for symptoms of COVID-19 prior to appointments and our employees will be using discretion when entering dwellings and interacting with individuals. Only essential contractors, homeowners or authorized representatives necessary for the completion of the inspection should be on site during the inspection to limit unnecessary contact.
Assistance for Seniors and those with Special Needs. The Senior Bus service is suspended until further notice. However, in an effort to assist home bound seniors and members of the community with special needs in maintaining social distancing during the COVID-19 situation, we are putting together a volunteer program to help with errands such as food shopping and picking up medications from the pharmacy. If you or someone you know needs assistance with these areas, please reach out to Arielle at the Senior Center at (201) 405-7731 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Look for additional information on Tuesday, March 17th.
Public Meetings and Events
- All Board, Committee and Commission Meetings scheduled through the end of March are cancelled. Upcoming Council Meetings may be cancelled or modified to provide call-in access to the public. More information will follow shortly.
- The Easter Egg Hunt scheduled for April 4, 2020 has also been cancelled.
- As previously communicated, all Recreation Facilities are closed, including the Playgrounds, D’Elia bathrooms and Tennis Courts. Playgrounds at the elementary schools are also shut down.
- If you do not feel well, please stay at home and contact your medical provider to determine the appropriate course of treatment. This crisis, and our response to it, are changing rapidly. Remind your friends and neighbors to go to our website and sign up for alerts and e-mail notifications to stay informed.