- Governor Phil Murphy also signed Executive Order 109 suspending elective surgeries and invasive procedures for adults, including both medical and dental. This will be effective 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 27. This order will apply to all operations that can be safely delayed.
Beware of Scams:
- There are no known cases of this happening in Oakland, however there have been reports in other NJ towns of individuals going door to door claiming to be conducting surveillance for the Coronavirus. If anyone visits your home saying they are there to provide testing, as always, use caution, do not let them into your home, and contact the Oakland Police Department at (201) 337-6171 immediately.
- Emails claiming to be from the CDC or other organizations claiming to offer information on the virus may not be authentic. Do not click links or open attachments from people you do not recognize.
- Be aware of phishing emails asking you to verify your personal information in order to receive an economic stimulus check from the government. Never share personal information via email.
Metal Collection Cancelled:
- Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the metal collection scheduled for April 2nd has been cancelled. The Borough will post information when the program is active again. We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience.
Update from Orange and Rockland Utilities:
- In their continuing effort to protect customers and employees from the coronavirus (COVID-19), Orange & Rockland (O&R) and Rockland Electric Co. have implemented the following changes:
- Halted all meter reading and installation of smart meters at customers’ homes.
- Will only enter a customer’s home only for emergencies, safety-related inspections and customer-requested service connections and enhancements.
- Employees who need to enter a home for one of the above reasons will carry proper identification. Workers are following U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and New York State and New Jersey guidelines.
- Stopping shutoffs of electric and natural gas service due to non-payment resulting from the health crisis. We will continue to shut off service when there is a safety issue.
- Will not bill new late-payment charges for all customers and will suspend the fee charged to a customer who is unable to grant access to their property.
- Temporarily shutting down customer service walk-in business centers. Customers still can do business with Orange & Rockland and Rockland Electric Co. online via www.oru.com/myaccount. or by downloading the free O&R mobile app.
REMINDER… Help for seniors and those with special needs:
In an effort to assist home bound seniors and members of the community with special needs in maintaining social distancing during the COVID-19 situation, we have put together a volunteer program to help with errands such as food shopping and picking up medications from the pharmacy. If you or someone you know needs assistance with these areas, please reach out to Arielle at the Senior Center at (201) 405-7731 or by email at email@example.com.
In addition, the following supermarkets have instituted special "senior" hours:
- On Sunday, Tuesday, and Fridays, Market Basket in Franklin Lakes will be open at 6:30 a.m. until further notice for special senior citizen hours.
- Stop & Shop (All stores) will open from 6:00 a.m. -7:30 a.m. daily for residents 60 and over.
- Shop Rite of Oakland has dedicated lanes 12-20 for high risk individuals and senior citizens.
Important Phone Numbers:
- The State of NJ has instituted a new hotline for COVID-19 questions and information. Dial 2-1-1.
- Crisis Text Line: Text “NJ” to 74141
- Family Helpline: 1 (800) 843-5437
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 1 (800) 572-7233
- Mental Health Hotline: (866) 202-4357
- The Governor’s Office announced the availability of tele-mental health services from 8 am – 8 pm at 866-202-HELP (4357).
For further information, the State of New Jersey has created a new webpage for Coronavirus up to date information.