The New Jersey State Police have launched the Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS). The goal was to create an Internet site where the public can submit a digital firearms application. This centralized system will afford Law Enforcement the ability to process applications online and generate timely statistics statewide. In addition, this will allow applications to be processed in a more efficient manner. To access the FARS application, complete the following steps:
Please ensure that you enter the correct phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and your references.
Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
If this is your initial application YOU MUST apply for a Firearms Identification Card prior to applying for a Purchase Permit.
If you wish to apply for Purchase Permits this may also be applied for at the same time as you apply for your Initial Firearms Identification Card.
Note: You will be required to respond to an outside agency to have your fingerprints submitted. Any delay of you responding to that location will delay the process. Please follow the instructions within the Firearms Reporting System (FARS)
If you have already obtained your Firearms Identification Card you only need to apply for Pistol Purchase Permits.
When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember:
- ONE Permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2)
- You can purchase 1 handgun in a 30-day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn’t get more than one initially, you will need to apply AGAIN.
You will need to submit payment at the Police department when you pick up your permits and, if applicable, the Firearms ID card.
Permits to Purchase handguns are $2.00 for each permit, and $5.00 for the ID card. Payments can be made by check or money order payable to “Borough of Oakland”. CASH will NOT be accepted for payment.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
- Once your application is complete, a representative from the Oakland Police Department will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or pistol purchase permit documents.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately in order to move your application investigation along.
- If you are applying for your Initial Firearms Identification Card we recommend that you also apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit if you intend to purchase a pistol. Remember that the permit is valid for 180 days.
Click the button that says ‘Online STS 033 Form’
Enter ‘NJ0024200’ when asked for the ORI Code
*Note: There is a Frequently Asked Questions section available that can be accessed by clicking the word ‘Help’ in the upper right hand corner of the webpage