How to Obtain a Temporary Placard
Temporary placards are issued for six months.
To apply for a temporary handicapped parking placard you must:
- Download and complete the Temporary Placard Application [pdf] or visit a local, municipal police department to obtain the application.
- Have a qualified medical practitioner certify that you are qualified for a temporary placard; see Qualifications for medical certification information.
- Submit the completed application to a municipal police department with a check or money order made payable to "NJ MVC" in the amount of $4.00.
- After review and upon approval by the Chief of Police, the Records Bureau will issue your temporary placard.
TEMPORARY PLACARD APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PERSON TO A MUNICIPAL CHIEF OF POLICE.
DO NOT SUBMIT the payment or the completed application to the MVC
How to Obtain a Permanent Placard or Plates
- Complete the Persons with Disability Placards/Plates Application.
- Follow the directions at the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Website.
- These placards and plates are NOT issued by the Oakland Police Department.